ANZSCO code 253324
Thoracic Medicine Specialist
Investigates, diagnoses and treats diseases and disorders of the human respiratory system. Registration or licensing is required.
Skill Level 1
Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Medical Board of Australia (MedBA)
- Respiratory Medicine Physician
- Thoracic Medicine Physician
Alternative titles are any commonly used alternative title (or titles) for the occupation. These alternative titles have the same meaning as the principal title but may be less commonly used.
- Pulmonary Specialist
- Respiratory Physician
Specialisation titles are any commonly used titles which refer to a subset of jobs belonging to the occupation designated in the principal title. These jobs involve the performance of specialised tasks rather than the broader range of tasks usually performed in the occupation.
Unit Group 2533: Specialist Physicians
Diagnose and treat internal human disorders and diseases using specialist testing, diagnostic and medical techniques. Medical Registrars training as Specialist Physicians are included in this unit group.
Indicative Skill Level
In Australia and New Zealand: Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification, two years hospital-based training, and at least five years specialist study and training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing is required.
- Examining patients to determine the nature and extent of problems after referral from General Medical Practitioners and other medical specialists, and undertaking laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures
- Analysing test results and other medical information to make diagnoses
- Prescribing and administering drugs, and remedial and therapeutic treatment and procedures
- Recording medical information and data
- Reporting specified contagious and notifiable diseases to government health and immigration authorities
- May admit or refer patients to hospitals
- May consult other medical specialists
Other occupations in this Unit Group
- 253311: Specialist Physician (General Medicine)
- 253312: Cardiologist
- 253313: Clinical Haematologist
- 253314: Medical Oncologist
- 253315: Endocrinologist
- 253316: Gastroenterologist
- 253317: Intensive Care Specialist
- 253318: Neurologist
- 253321: Paediatrician
- 253322: Renal Medicine Specialist
- 253323: Rheumatologist
- 253399: Specialist Physicians nec