You can apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa if:
- you want to invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
How long it will take
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
Example: You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
You must have at least £2,000,000 investment funds to apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa.
- be 18 or over to apply for this visa
- be able to prove that the money belongs to either you or your husband, wife, unmarried or same-sex partner
- have opened an account at a UK regulated bank to use for your funds
Your funds must be:
- held in one or more regulated financial institutions
- free to spend (‘disposable’) in the UK
Your money can be in the UK or overseas when you apply.
You must pay £1,623 to apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa.
How long you can stay
You can come to the UK with a Tier 1 (Investor) visa for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months.
You can apply to extend this visa for another 2 years.
What you can and cannot do
- work or study
- apply to settle after 2 years if you invest £10 million
- apply to settle after 3 years if you invest £5 million
- apply to settle after 5 years if you invest £2 million
- work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
- get public funds
You also cannot work as a doctor or dentist in training unless one of the following applies:
- you have a primary degree at bachelors level or above in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence or is a UK recognised or listed body
- you worked as a doctor or dentist in training the last time you were in the UK
- neither of those conditions were part of the terms and conditions on a previous visa
Documents you must provide
When you apply you’ll need to provide:
- a current passport or other valid travel identification
- your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
- a criminal record certificate from any country you have stayed in for a total of 12 months or more over the last 10 years
You need a blank page in your passport for your visa.
You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.
Evidence of investment funds
You’ll need to provide evidence showing that you have the required investment funds.
Your own money
If you’re using your own money to invest, you should be able to show:
- how much money you have and where it’s being held
- where the money came from if you’ve had the money for less than 2 years, for example you inherited it from a relative
- that the money can be transferred to the UK and converted to sterling (if it’s not already in the UK)
Your partner’s money
You’ll need to provide:
- a certificate of marriage or civil partnership, or in the case of unmarried or same-sex relationships, proof that you are in a long-term relationship (at least 2 years)
- a statement from your partner confirming that they will allow you to control the funds in the UK
- a letter from a legal adviser stating that the declaration is valid
Evidence you have a UK bank account
You must provide a letter to prove you have an account at a UK regulated bank to use for your investment funds. The letter must:
- have been issued by an authorised official
- be dated within 3 months of your application
- be on the official headed paper of the bank
- state your name and account number
- confirm you’ve opened an account with the bank in order to invest £2,000,000
- confirm the bank is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
- confirm checks for money-laundering have been carried out
You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.