ANZSCO code 252711
Provides diagnostic assessment and rehabilitative services related to human hearing defects.
Skill Level 1
Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services (VETASSESS)
Unit Group 2527: Audiologists and Speech Pathologists Therapists
Provide diagnostic assessment and rehabilitation services related to human hearing defects, and assess and treat people with communication disorders and physical problems associated with eating and swallowing.
Indicative Skill Level
In Australia and New Zealand: Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- Administering and interpreting a wide range of audiometric tests to determine hearing efficiency and locate sites of detected hearing problems
- Interpreting audiometric test results alongside other medical, social and behavioural diagnostic data
- Evaluating total response pattern and acoustic tests to distinguish between organic and non-organic hearing loss
- Planning, directing and participating in counselling, speech reading and other rehabilitation programs
- Prescribing appropriate hearing aids and instructing patients in use
- Administering tests and observing patients to determine nature and extent of disorders
- Planning and conducting programs of remedial exercise to correct disorders such as stuttering and abnormal articulation
- Administering individual and group therapy for rehabilitation of patients with communication problems caused by defective hearing, cerebral palsy, surgery and injury
- Advising on treatment for children with difficulties in learning to speak
- Counselling and guiding language-handicapped individuals, their families, teachers and employers
Other occupations in this Unit Group
- 252712: Speech Pathologist / Speech Language Therapist