212415: Technical Writer
Researches and writes technical information-based material and documentation for articles, manuals, text books, handbooks, or multimedia products, usually for education or corporate purposes. Skill Level 1 Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services (VETASSESS)
Unit Group 2124: Journalists and Other Writers
Research and compile news stories, write and edit news reports, commentaries and feature stories for presentation in print and electronic media, and compose written material to advertise goods and services.
Indicative Skill Level
In Australia and New Zealand: Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- Determining advertising approach by consulting clients and management, and studying products to establish principal selling features
- Writing advertisements for press, radio, television, cinema screens, billboards, catalogues and shop displays
- Making decisions about the specific content of publications in conjunction with other senior editors and in accordance with editorial policies and guidelines
- Reviewing copy for publication to ensure conformity with accepted rules of grammar, style and format, coherence of story, and accuracy, legality and probity of content
- Collecting and analysing facts about newsworthy events from interviews, printed matter, investigations and observations
- Writing news reports, commentaries, articles and feature stories for newspapers, magazines, journals, television and radio on topics of public interest
- Researching and writing technical, information-based material and documentation for manuals, text books, handbooks and multimedia products
- Critically discussing daily news topics in the editorial columns of newspapers and reviewing books, films and plays
Other occupations in this Unit Group
- 212411: Copywriter
- 212412: Newspaper or Periodical Editor
- 212413: Print Journalist
- 212414: Radio Journalist
- 212416: Television Journalist
- 212499: Journalists and Other Writers nec