134311: School Principal
Plans, organises, directs, controls and coordinates the educational and administrative aspects of primary, middle or intermediate and secondary schools including physical and human resources. Registration or licensing is required. Skill Level 1 Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services (VETASSESS)
Alternative titles are any commonly used alternative title (or titles) for the occupation. These alternative titles have the same meaning as the principal title but may be less commonly used.
- Middle or Intermediate School Principal
- Primary School Principal
- Secondary School Principal
Specialisation titles are any commonly used titles which refer to a subset of jobs belonging to the occupation designated in the principal title. These jobs involve the performance of specialised tasks rather than the broader range of tasks usually performed in the occupation.
Unit Group 1343: School Principals
Plan, organise, direct, control and coordinate the educational and administrative aspects of primary, middle or intermediate, and secondary schools including physical and human resources.
Indicative Skill Level
In Australia and New Zealand: Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification and at least five years of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing is required.
- Determining educational programs based on curricula set by educational authorities
- Implementing systems and procedures to monitor school performance and student enrolments
- Directing administrative and clerical activities concerning student admissions and educational services
- Preparing school budgets and maintaining budgetary controls
- Promoting the educational program, and representing schools in the wider community
- Supervising the maintenance of school facilities
- Enforcing a disciplinary code to create a safe and conducive environment for students and teachers
- Organising and implementing methods of raising additional funds in conjunction with parent groups
- Controlling selection, training and supervision of staff
- May teach students