7243 – Power system electricians
Power system electricians install, maintain, test and repair electrical power generation, transmission and distribution system equipment and apparatus. They are employed by electric power generation, transmission and distribution companies.
Index of titles
- Apprentice power system electrician
- Electrical powerhouse electrician
- Electrical powerhouse electrician – electrical power system
- Electrical substation electrician – electrical power system
- Electrician – electricity production
- Power electrician
- Power station electrician
- Power station electrician – electrical power system
- Power system electrician
- Powerhouse electrician – electrical power system
- Relay tester and maintainer – electrical power system
- Relay tester and repairer – electrical power system
- Substation electrician – electrical power system
- Voltage regulator maintainer – electrical power system
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Install and maintain electrical power distribution equipment such as transformers, generators, voltage regulators, switches, circuit breakers, capacitors, inductors, and supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems
- Install and maintain electrical equipment and apparatus in generating stations or powerhouses
- Inspect and test installed electrical equipment and apparatus to locate electrical faults and check their operation, using volt meters, ammeters and other electrical test instruments and equipment
- Repair or replace faulty electrical equipment and apparatus
- Complete test and maintenance reports.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a four-year apprenticeship program for power system electricians or a combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some college or industry courses in electrical technology is usually required.
- Trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Manitoba, Alberta, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Electrical mechanics (7333)
- Electrical power line and cable workers (7244)
- Electricians (except industrial and power system) (7241)
- Industrial electricians (7242)
- Supervisors of power system electricians (in 7202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations)