6541 – Security guards and related security service occupations
Security guards and workers in related security service occupations guard and implement security measures to protect property against theft, vandalism and fire, control access to establishments, maintain order and enforce regulations at public events and within establishments, conduct private investigations for clients or employers and provide other protective services not elsewhere classified. They are employed by public or private security agencies, residential complexes, educational, cultural, financial and health institutions, retail establishments, businesses and industry, investigation service companies, transportation facilities, and organizations throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed.
Index of titles
- Air courier guard
- Airport security guard
- Alarm investigator
- Alarm signal investigator
- Alarm signal specialist
- Armoured car driver
- Armoured car guard
- Automatic teller machine (ATM) guard
- Bodyguard (except police)
- Bouncer – security
- Business establishment investigator
- Business establishment investigator – security
- Cabin baggage inspector
- Carry-on baggage inspector
- Commissionaire – security
- Convoy guard
- Corporate security officer
- Crossing guard
- Escort – security services
- Gate attendant – security
- Hand baggage inspector
- Hand luggage inspector
- House detective
- Investigations officer – postal service
- Lie detector examiner
- Loss prevention officer – retail
- Loss prevention officers supervisor
- Mystery shopper
- Night guard
- Night watchman/woman
- Patrol officer – security
- Patrolman/woman – security
- Plant gatekeeper
- Plant guard
- Polygraph examiner
- Polygraph operator
- Postal inspection officer
- Postal service inspector
- Preboarding security guard
- Private detective
- Private investigator
- Private investigators supervisor
- Private police agents and investigators supervisor
- Private policemen/women and investigators supervisor
- Private security officer
- Residential alarm system specialist
- Retail investigator
- Retail loss investigator
- Retail loss prevention officer
- Retail store floorman/woman
- Retail store floorwalker
- School crossing guard
- Security alarm system consultant
- Security analysis officer – postal service
- Security and investigations officer
- Security consultant (except computer systems)
- Security guard
- Security guard – explosives
- Security investigator
- Security officer
- Security specialist (except computer systems)
- Shopping investigator – security
- Store detective
- Surveillance operator – casino
- Theft prevention officer
- Vault custodian
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Control access to establishments, operate security control-room equipment and patrol assigned areas to guard against theft, vandalism and fire
- Enforce regulations to maintain order and resolve conflicts and to monitor establishment activities
- Ensure safety and emergency procedures are followed
- Issue passes and direct visitors to appropriate areas, check age identification of patrons, and perform security checks of passengers and luggage at airports.
Armoured car guards
- Drive and guard armoured trucks, pick-up and deliver cash and valuables to banks, automated teller machines and retail establishments.
Corporate security officers
- Investigate unlawful acts of employees or patrons of establishments
- Recommend security systems such as electronic detection devices and access devices.
- Conduct investigations to locate missing persons
- Obtain information for use in civil and criminal litigation matters or for other purposes
- May also conduct polygraph tests (integrity surveys) for clients.
Retail loss prevention officers
- Prevent and detect shoplifting and theft in retail establishments.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- A college diploma in law and security or police technology may be required.
- Training is provided for airport security guards and establishment-specific training may be provided for security occupations in this unit group.
- Security guards carrying firearms require a licence.
- Armoured car drivers require a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) for both restricted and non-restricted firearms.
- In Quebec, a permit issued by the Sûreté du Québec is required to work as a private detective or security officer.
- Corporate security officers may require experience as a police officer.
- Private investigators require provincial licensure.
- Responsible beverage service certification is usually required for security staff in establishments serving alcoholic beverages.
- Correctional service officers (4422)
- Managers of security agencies (in 0125 Other business services managers)
- Police officers (except commissioned) (4311)
- Supervisors of security guards and related occupations (in 6316 Other services supervisors)