6523 – Airline ticket and service agents
Airline ticket and service agents issue tickets, provide fare quotations, make reservations, conduct passenger check-in, trace missing baggage, arrange for cargo shipments and perform other related customer service duties to assist airline passengers. They are employed by airline companies.
Index of titles
- Agent ticket and information – airline
- Airline baggage agent
- Airline cargo agent
- Airline customer service representative
- Airline load planner
- Airline passenger agent
- Airline reservation agent
- Airline sales and service agent
- Airline ticket agent
- Baggage agent – airline
- Baggage tracer – airline
- Baggage tracing agent – airline
- Cargo agent – airline
- Cargo customer service representative – airline
- Certified load control agent – airline
- Certified load planner – airline
- Check-in agent – airline
- Client service representative – airline
- Commissary agent – airline
- Counter services agent – airline
- Customer sales agent – airline
- Customer service agent – airline
- Customer service representative – airline
- Flight agent
- Load agent – airline
- Load control agent – airline
- Passenger sales agent – airline
- Passenger sales representative – airline
- Passenger service representative – airline
- Reservation agent – airline
- Reservation clerk – airline
- Reservation sales agent – airline
- Station agent – airline
- Station services agent – airline
- Ticket and information agent – airline
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Airline passenger and ticket agents
- Help customers plan travel time and routes, prepare and issue tickets, assign seats, prepare boarding passes, check baggage, attend boarding gates
- Assist pre-boarding passengers and provide information on fares and flight schedules and routes.
Airline baggage agents
- Trace lost, delayed or misdirected baggage for customers.
Airline cargo agents
- Weigh cargo and compute freight costs, calculate charges for services and insurance, process bills of lading, cargo manifests and other documents
- Trace lost or misdirected cargo and maintain shipping and other records.
Airline reservation agents
- Reserve seats for tour companies, travel agencies, wholesalers and the general public using computerized systems
- Provide information on airline passengers and process mileage points.
Airline station agents
- Complete pre-flight documents regarding passenger and cargo load, catering count, special requests and other flight information
- Relay operational messages to operations control and downline stations
- Perform duties of ticket, baggage and cargo agents.
Airline load planners
- Calculate load weights for compartments of aircraft using charts and computers
- Plan load to distribute and balance cargo.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Several weeks of on-the-job and classroom training are provided for all occupations in this unit group.
- Airline station agents usually require experience as a ticket, baggage or cargo agent.
- Load planners require a restricted radio operator’s licence and usually require airline operations experience.
- Depending on the size of the airline or airport, the duties of workers in this unit group may overlap.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Ground and water transport ticket agents, cargo service representatives and related clerks (6524)
- Supervisors of airline sales and service agents (in 6313 Accommodation, travel, tourism and related services supervisors)
- Travel counsellors (6521)
- Airline cargo and baggage loaders (in 6721 Support occupations in accommodation, travel and facilities set-up services)