4413 – Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants
Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants support students, and assist teachers and counsellors with teaching and non-instructional tasks. They assist in areas of personal care, teaching and behaviour management under the supervision of teachers or other child care professionals. They are employed in public and private elementary, secondary and special needs schools and treatment centres.
Index of titles
- Child care attendant – elementary school
- Classroom assistant – primary and secondary school
- Educational assistant
- Educational resources assistant
- Elementary school teacher’s aide
- Elementary school teacher’s assistant
- Homework assistant
- Instructional assistant – primary and secondary school
- Lunchroom supervisor – school
- Lunchtime supervisor – primary and secondary school
- Paraprofessional educator
- Program assistant – education
- Remedial education aide
- School lunchroom supervisor
- Secondary school teacher’s aide
- Secondary school teacher’s assistant
- Special education assistant
- Special needs educational assistant
- Special programs aide – education
- Student monitor
- Student support assistant
- Teacher’s aide
- Teacher’s assistant
- Teacher’s helper
- Teaching staff assistant – primary and secondary school
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Assist students with integration into the classroom and school setting
- Help students individually or in small groups with assignments and reinforce learning and retention concepts under the supervision of classroom teacher
- Assist students with special needs using techniques such as sign language, braille and remedial programs
- Monitor and report student progress to classroom teacher
- Accompany and supervise students during activities in school gymnasiums, laboratories, libraries, resource centres and on field trips
- May assist teacher in the operation of projectors, tape recorders and other audio-visual or electronic equipment
- May assist in school library or office and perform other duties assigned by school principal
- May monitor students during recess, at noon hour or during the day.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Teacher assistants usually require completion of a 10-month college program in teaching assistance, educational assistance or other social science program.
- Teacher assistants who help students with special needs usually require specialized training and experience.
- Mobility to other occupations related to child care and adolescent supportive instruction is possible with experience.
- Early childhood educators and assistants (4214)
- Elementary school and kindergarten teachers (4032)
- Instructors of persons with disabilities (4215)
- Post-secondary teaching and research assistants (4012)