3219 – Other medical technologists and technicians (except dental health)
Other medical technologists and technicians (except dental health) include medical technologists and technicians such as dietary technicians, pharmacy technicians, ocularists, prosthetists, orthotists, prosthetic technicians and orthotic technicians. Dietary technicians are employed in health care and commercial food service establishments such as hospitals, extended care facilities, nursing homes, schools, cafeterias and fast food outlets. Pharmacy technicians are employed in retail and hospital pharmacies, long-term care facilities and by pharmaceutical manufacturers. Ocularists are employed in custom ocular prosthetic laboratories, or they may be self-employed. Prosthetists, orthotists and prosthetic and orthotic technicians are employed in hospitals, clinics, prosthetics and orthotics laboratories, and prosthetic device manufacturing companies. Prosthetists and orthotists may also be self-employed.
Index of titles
- Aeromedical instructor
- Aeromedical technician
- Aeromedicine technician
- Apprentice ocularist
- Artificial eye maker
- Artificial limb assembler
- Artificial limb finisher
- Artificial limb maker
- Aviation medicine technician
- Brace maker
- Certified orthotist (CO)
- Certified pedorthist (C Ped)
- Certified prosthetist
- Certified prosthetist-orthotist (CPO)
- Dialysis technician
- Dialysis technologist
- Dietary technician
- Dietary technologist
- Food and nutrition technician – dietetics
- Hemodialysis technician
- Hemodialysis technologist
- Kidney dialysis technician
- Kidney dialysis technologist
- Ocular prosthetist
- Ocularist apprentice
- Ocularist technician
- Orthopedic appliance assembler
- Orthopedic mechanic
- Orthotic corset maker
- Orthotic technician
- Pharmacy technical assistant
- Pharmacy technician
- Prosthetic aide
- Prosthetic assistant
- Prosthetic technician
- Prosthetic-orthotic technician
- Prosthetist assistant
- Registered orthotic technician (R.T.O.)
- Registered prosthetic and orthotic technician (R.T.P.O.)
- Registered prosthetic technician (R.T.P.)
- Surgical appliance fitter
- Surgical fitter
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Assist dietitians or nutritionists to plan and supervise food service operations
- Plan menus and diet for individuals or groups under the direction of a dietitian or nutritionist
- Assist in the supervision of personnel who prepare and serve food
- Help patients select menu items
- Assist dietitians with research in food, nutrition and food service systems.
- Assist pharmacists to maintain inventories of medications and prescription records of pharmaceutical products
- Ensure the information on prescriptions is accurate
- Enter client information in databases and prepare medications for clients
- Compound oral solutions, ointments and creams
- Bill third party insurers
- May help with scheduling and workflow.
- Design, fabricate and fit ocular prostheses and conformers, and may design and fabricate implants
- Paint the iris and pupil of artificial eyes
- Clean and restore ocular prostheses
- Advise patients concerning the loss of depth perception and the care and use of ocular prostheses
- Repair and maintain fabrication and laboratory equipment
- Consult with ophthalmologists concerning insertion of ocular prostheses.
Prosthetists and orthotists
- Design, fabricate and fit prosthetic and orthotic appliances such as artificial limbs, braces or supports
- Interpret physicians’ specifications and examine and measure patients to develop working sketches of appliances
- Make and modify plaster casts of areas to receive prostheses or orthoses
- Fit, adjust and repair appliances
- Advise patients in the use and care of prostheses and orthoses
- Supervise and direct the activities of prosthetic and orthotic technicians.
Prosthetic and orthotic technicians
- Assemble or build prosthetic and orthotic appliances according to drawings, measurements and plaster casts using a variety of materials such as metals, plastics and leathers
- Repair, rebuild and modify prosthetic and orthotic appliances or orthopaedic footwear
- May take the body or limb measurements of patients.
- Dietary technicians require completion of a two- to three-year college program in dietary technology and supervised practical training.
- Pharmacy technicians usually require completion of a two- to three-year college program in pharmaceutics.
- Registration with a regulatory body is required for pharmacy technicians in all provinces except Quebec and Saskatchewan.
- Ocularists require completion of the education program of the American Society of Ocularists and supervised practical training or a five-year supervised practical training program under a certified ocularist.
- Certification by the National Examining Board of Ocularists is usually required.
- Prosthetists and orthotists require a two-year college program in prosthetics and orthotics technology and three years of supervised practical training.
- Certification by the Canadian Board of Certification of Prosthetists and Orthotists (CBCPO) may be required.
- Prosthetic and orthotic technicians usually require a two- to three- year college program in prosthetics and orthotics and one to two years of supervised practical training or completion of secondary school and up to four years of supervised practical training under a certified prosthetist or orthotist.
- Registration with the Canadian Association of Prosthetists and Orthotists (CAPO) may be required.
- Prosthetic and orthotic technicians may become certified prosthetists or orthotists with an additional two years of experience as a registered prosthetic or orthotic technician and completion of certification examinations by the Canadian Board of Certification of Prosthetists and Orthotists.
- Other health care technologists and technicians (in 321 Medical technologists and technicians (except dental health))
- Pharmacy aides (in 3414 Other assisting occupations in support of health services)
- Technologists and technicians in therapy and assessment (in 3237 Other technical occupations in therapy and assessment)