ANZSCO code 331211
Carpenter and Joiner
Constructs and installs structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, and cuts, shapes and fits timber parts to form structures and fittings. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level 3
Occupations at Skill Level 3 have a level of skill commensurate with one of the following: – NZ Register Level 4 qualification – AQF Certificate IV or – AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training. At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Trades Recognition Australia (TRA)
Specialisation titles are any commonly used titles which refer to a subset of jobs belonging to the occupation designated in the principal title. These jobs involve the performance of specialised tasks rather than the broader range of tasks usually performed in the occupation.
Unit Group 3312: Carpenters and Joiners
Construct, erect, install, renovate and repair structures and fixtures made of wood, plywood, wallboard and other materials, and cut, shape and fit timber parts to form structures and fittings.
Indicative Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below. In Australia: AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3) In New Zealand: NZQF Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3) At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- Studying drawings and specifications to determine materials required, dimensions and installation procedures
- Ordering and selecting timbers and materials, and preparing layouts
- Cutting materials, and assembling and nailing cut and shaped parts
- Erecting framework and roof framing, laying sub-flooring and floorboards and verifying trueness of structures
- Nailing fascia panels, sheathing roofs, and fitting exterior wall cladding and door and window frames
- Assembling prepared wood to form structures and fittings ready to install
- Cutting wood joints
- May construct concrete formwork
- May repair existing fittings
- May work with plastic laminates, perspex and metals
Other occupations in this Unit Group
- 331212: Carpenter
- 331213: Joiner