ANZSCO code 253512
Performs heart and lung surgery. Registration or licensing is required.
Skill Level 1
Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Medical Board of Australia (MedBA)
Unit Group 2535: Surgeons
Perform surgery to correct deformities, repair injuries, prevent and treat diseases, and improve human functioning and appearance. Medical Registrars training as Surgeons are included in this unit group.
Indicative Skill Level
In Australia and New Zealand: Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification, two years hospital-based training, and at least five years specialist study and training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing is required.
- Examining patients to determine the necessity of operations, estimating and explaining risks to patients, and selecting the best operational procedures
- Reviewing reports on patients’ general physical condition, reactions to medications and medical histories
- Consulting with Anaesthetists regarding the correct anaesthesia for patients
- Performing surgical operations
- Examining instruments, equipment, and surgical set-up to ensure that antiseptic and aseptic methods have been followed
- Instructing other medical, nursing and associated staff regarding the preparation of patients and instrument and equipment requirements
- Prescribing post-operative care, and observing and investigating patients’ progress
- Maintaining records of operations performed
- May specialise in particular types of operations
Other occupations in this Unit Group
- 253511: Surgeon (General)
- 253513: Neurosurgeon
- 253514: Orthopaedic Surgeon
- 253515: Otorhinolaryngologist
- 253516: Paediatric Surgeon
- 253517: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
- 253518: Urologist
- 253521: Vascular Surgeon