ANZSCO code 251214
Operates ultrasound equipment to acquire, interpret and selectively record anatomical images, physical data and real-time physiological information for medical diagnostic purposes in conjunction with Medical Practitioners.
Skill Level 1
Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Australian Society of Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy (ASMIRT)
Alternative titles are any commonly used alternative title (or titles) for the occupation. These alternative titles have the same meaning as the principal title but may be less commonly used.
Unit Group 2512: Medical Imaging Professionals
Operate X-ray and other radiation producing and imaging equipment for diagnostic, monitoring and treatment purposes under the direction of Radiologists and other Medical Practitioners.
Indicative Skill Level
In Australia and New Zealand: Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing may be required.
- Receiving referrals from Medical Practitioners to perform medical imaging and radiation treatment of patients
- Determining the appropriate equipment to use, such as X-ray equipment, radiation scanners, fluoroscopes, ultrasound equipment, nuclear instrumentation, angiography equipment and computed tomography (CT) equipment, and selecting the appropriate equipment settings to provide the diagnostic information requested by Medical Practitioners
- Calculating details of procedures such as length and intensity of exposure to radiation, size and strength of dosage of isotopes, and settings of recording equipment
- Explaining procedures to patients and answering patients’ inquiries about processes
- Ensuring patients’ welfare during procedures
- Positioning patients, screens and equipment preparatory to procedures
- Viewing the screen and deciding if images are satisfactory for diagnostic purposes, and selecting images to show Medical Practitioners
- Conveying findings of procedures to Medical Practitioners
Other occupations in this Unit Group
- 251211: Medical Diagnostic Radiographer
- 251212: Medical Radiation Therapist
- 251213: Nuclear Medicine Technologist