ANZSCO code 242211
Vocational Education Teacher / Polytechnic Teacher
Teaches one or more subjects within a prescribed course of study at a technical and further education (TAFE) institute, polytechnic or other training institute to tertiary students for vocational education and training purposes. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level 1
Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services (VETASSESS)
- Trades Recognition Australia (TRA)
- Adult Education Teacher
- TAFE Lecturer
- TAFE Teacher
- Workplace Trainer and Assessor
Specialisation titles are any commonly used titles which refer to a subset of jobs belonging to the occupation designated in the principal title. These jobs involve the performance of specialised tasks rather than the broader range of tasks usually performed in the occupation.
Unit Group 2422: Vocational Education Teachers (Aus) Polytechnic Teachers (NZ)
Teach one or more subjects within a prescribed course of study at technical and further education (TAFE) institutes, polytechnics and other training institutes to tertiary students for vocational education and training purposes.
Indicative Skill Level In Australia and New Zealand: Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification or a postgraduate diploma in adult education. In some instances relevant industry and vocational education experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- Identifying the various needs of students and creating effective learning options to meet these needs
- Liaising with individuals, industry and education sectors to ensure provision of relevant programs and services
- Planning, designing and developing course curriculum and method of instruction
- Advising students on courses and related matters
- Teaching students using teaching aids including presentation of lesson materials, discussions, workshops, laboratory sessions, multimedia aids and computer tutorials
- Marking and grading students’ assignments, papers and exams and providing feedback to students about their progress
- Maintaining records of students’ progress, attendance and training activities
- Consulting with Education Managers, Librarians, Student Counsellors and other support staff