ANZSCO code 241513
Teacher of the Sight Impaired
Teaches academic and living skills to sight impaired students, and promotes students’ social, emotional, intellectual and physical development. Registration or licensing is required.
Skill Level 1
Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Australian Institute of Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL)
Unit Group 2415: Special Education Teachers
Teach primary, middle or intermediate, and secondary school students with learning difficulties, hearing impairment and sight impairment, and promote students’ social, emotional, intellectual and physical development.
Indicative Skill Level
In Australia and New Zealand: Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing is required.
- Assessing students’ abilities and limitations with regard to intellectual, physical, social and emotional disabilities, exceptional intellectual gifts, or specific problems of language and culture
- Planning, organising and implementing special programs to provide remedial or advanced tuition
- Administering various forms of assessment and interpreting the results
- Teaching basic academic subjects, and practical and self-help skills to hearing and sight impaired students
- Devising instructional materials, methods and aids to assist in training and rehabilitation
- Advising, instructing and counselling parents and teachers on the availability and use of special techniques
- Stimulating and developing interests, abilities, manual skills and coordination
- Conferring with other staff members to plan and schedule lessons for special needs students
- Preparing and maintaining student data and other records and submitting reports
Other occupations in this Unit Group
- 241511: Special Needs Teacher
- 241512: Teacher of the Hearing Impaired
- 241599: Special Education Teachers nec