ANZSCO code 234611
Medical Laboratory Scientist
Conducts medical laboratory tests to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. Registration or licensing is required.
Skill Level 1
Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Australian Institute of Medical Scientists (AIMS)
- Hospital Scientist
- Medical Scientific Officer
Alternative titles are any commonly used alternative title (or titles) for the occupation. These alternative titles have the same meaning as the principal title but may be less commonly used.
- IVF Embryologist
Specialisation titles are any commonly used titles which refer to a subset of jobs belonging to the occupation designated in the principal title. These jobs involve the performance of specialised tasks rather than the broader range of tasks usually performed in the occupation.
Unit Group 2346: Medical Laboratory Scientists
Conduct medical laboratory tests to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
Indicative Skill Level
In Australia and New Zealand: Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- Preparing tissue sections for microscopic examination
- Examining and analysing samples to study the effects of microbial infections
- Analysing samples of body tissue and fluids to develop techniques to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases
- Advising Medical Practitioners on the interpretation of tests and methods for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease
- Setting up the steps and rules of laboratory medical testing
- Operating and maintaining laboratory equipment
- Maintaining laboratory quality assurance and safety standards
- Preparing scientific papers and reports