ANZSCO code 233513
Production or Plant Engineer
Plans, directs and coordinates the design, construction, modification, continued performance and maintenance of equipment and machines in industrial plants, and the management and planning of manufacturing activities. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level 1
Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Assessing Authority
- Engineers Australia (EA)
- Automation and Control Engineer
Specialisation titles are any commonly used titles which refer to a subset of jobs belonging to the occupation designated in the principal title. These jobs involve the performance of specialised tasks rather than the broader range of tasks usually performed in the occupation.
Unit Group 2335: Industrial, Mechanical and Production Engineers
Design, organise and oversee the construction, operation and maintenance of mechanical and process plant and installations, establish programs for the coordination of manufacturing activities, and ensure usage of resources is cost effective.
Indicative Skill Level
In Australia and New Zealand: Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing may be required.
- Studying functional statements, organisational charts and project information to determine functions and responsibilities of workers and work units and to identify areas of duplication
- Establishing work measurement programs and analysing work samples to develop standards for labour utilisation
- Analysing workforce utilisation, facility layout, operational data and production schedules and costs to determine optimum worker and equipment efficiencies
- Designing mechanical equipment, machines, components, products for manufacture, and plant and systems for construction
- Developing specifications for manufacture, and determining materials, equipment, piping, material flows, capacities and layout of plant and systems
- Organising and managing project labour and the delivery of materials, plant and equipment
- Establishing standards and policies for installation, modification, quality control, testing, inspection and maintenance according to engineering principles and safety regulations
- Inspecting plant to ensure optimum performance is maintained
- Directing the maintenance of plant buildings and equipment, and coordinating the requirements for new designs, surveys and maintenance schedules
- Other occupations in this Unit Group
- 233511: Industrial Engineer
- 233512: Mechanical Engineer