6623 – Other sales related occupations
Workers in other sales related occupations sell goods or services during home demonstrations or by telephone soliciting, retail exhibitions or street vending. They are employed by a wide range of retail and wholesale establishments, manufacturers, telemarketing companies and call centres, or they may be self-employed.
Index of titles
- Beauty products consultant – door-to-door sales
- Beauty products representative – home sales
- Canvasser – retail
- Canvassing agent
- Catalogue agent – retail
- Catalogue sales agent – retail
- Cigarette vendor
- Cleaning products salesperson – door-to-door sales
- Comparison shopper
- Cosmetics demonstrator – retail
- Cosmetics salesperson – home sales
- Demonstrator – retail
- Direct distributor – retail
- Direct seller
- Door-to-door salesperson
- Food demonstrator – retail
- Home demonstrator – retail
- Home salesperson
- Magazine distribution agent – retail
- Magazine subscription solicitor
- Newspaper vendor
- Newspaper vendor – street sales
- Personal shopper
- Promotions demonstator
- Street vendor
- Subscription agent – retail
- Subscription solicitor
- Telephone sales agent
- Telephone sales clerk
- Telephone salesperson
- Telephone solicitor
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Contact potential customers by phone or through personal contacts, demonstrate and sell products directly to individual customers or at sales parties and deliver purchased goods to customers.
- Solicit sales and sell merchandise to residents of private homes.
- Set up and display merchandise on sidewalks or at public events to sell to the public.
Telephone solicitors and telemarketers
- Contact businesses or private individuals, by telephone, to solicit sales for goods or services.
- Arrange sales demonstration appointments, and show, describe and sell goods or services at wholesale, retail and industrial establishments, and at exhibitions, trade shows and private homes.
- Some secondary school education is usually required. A high school diploma may be required by some employers.
- Self-employed street vendors and door-to-door salespersons may require a municipal merchant’s permit.
- Progression to related supervisory positions is possible with additional training or experience.
- Cashiers (6611)
- Kiosk sales clerks (in 6421 Retail salespersons)
- Retail and wholesale trade managers (0621)
- Retail sales supervisors (6211)