5135 – Actors and comedians
Actors and comedians perform roles in motion picture, television, theatre and radio productions to entertain a variety of audiences. They are employed by motion picture, television, theatre and other production companies. This unit group includes acting teachers employed by private acting schools.
Index of titles
- Acting teacher – private or studio
- Diction coach
- Drama actor
- Drama coach
- Drama teacher – private or studio
- Dramatic arts teacher – private or studio
- Dramatic reader
- Film dubber
- Humorist – performing arts
- Movie actor
- Performing arts extra
- Reader – performing arts
- Standardized patient
- Stand-up comedian
- Story teller
- Straight man
- Voice coach
- Voice-over actor
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Actors and comedians
- Study and rehearse lines, gestures and expressions to interpret a role
- Portray roles in video or motion picture productions, television shows, theatre productions, radio dramas, commercials and other productions or perform the narration
- Sing or dance as required by specific roles
- Perform comedy acts in nightclubs alone or as members of comedy troupes
- Improvise a role.
- Train students in interpretation of scripts, speech, movement, and dramatic theory
- Prepare acting students for specific auditions and performances.
- Demonstrated ability, based on an audition or previous acting roles, is an important hiring criteria.
- Acting programs are offered at universities, colleges and private acting schools.
- Acting teachers usually require experience as actors.
- Membership in a guild or union may be required.
- Announcers and other broadcasters (5231)
- Dancers (5134)
- Drama professors (in 4011 University professors and lecturers)
- Musicians and singers (5133)
- Other performers, n.e.c. (5232)