4423 – By-law enforcement and other regulatory officers, n.e.c.
By-law enforcement and other regulatory officers enforce by-laws and regulations of provincial and municipal governments. They are employed by provincial and municipal governments and agencies.
Index of titles
- Animal control officer
- By-law enforcement officer
- Commercial transport inspector
- Garbage collection inspector
- Liquor licence inspector
- Parking control officer
- Property standards inspector
- Taxi inspector
- Zoning inspector
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Animal control officers
- Respond to citizen complaints concerning stray domestic animals, livestock and wildlife
- Issue warnings and citations to owners
- Impound lost, homeless and dangerous animals.
By-law enforcement officers
- Enforce municipal and provincial regulations
- Investigate complaints
- Issue warnings and citations to commercial and residential property owners and occupants.
Commercial transport inspectors
- Inspect commercial vehicles to ensure compliance with regulations governing load restrictions, the transportation of hazardous materials and public safety.
Garbage collection inspectors
- Investigate complaints concerning infractions of garbage collection by-laws.
Liquor licence inspectors
- Conduct inspections of licensed establishments
- Advise licencees on laws and regulations
- Report contravention of laws and regulations to provincial liquor control boards and agencies.
Parking control officers
- Enforce parking by-laws on city streets, regional roads and municipal properties.
- Inspect taxicabs for mechanical reliability, cleanliness, licensing and meter accuracy
- Investigate public complaints, issue citations and prepare reports
- Give evidence to city councils, taxi commissions and in court.
- Investigate properties in violation of zoning and related by-laws, after receiving requests for licence clearances pertaining to zoning and related by-laws, and on receipt of building permit applications.
By-law enforcement officers may specialize in the enforcement of one specific by-law.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college program or courses in law and security or other related field or experience in a related administrative or regulatory occupation is usually required.
- Zoning inspectors or zoning enforcement officers may require a college diploma as a civil engineering or architectural technologist or technician and several years of experience in enforcement and/or building construction or a related field.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- Employment insurance, immigration, border services and revenue officers (1228)
- Engineering inspectors and regulatory officers (2262)
- Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety (2263)
- Police officers (except commissioned) (4311)
- Sheriffs and bailiffs (4421)