4165 – Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers | Canada NOC |

4165 – Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers

Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers conduct research, produce reports and administer health care policies and programs. They are employed by government departments and agencies, consulting establishments, universities, research institutes, hospitals, community agencies, educational institutions, professional associations, non-governmental organizations and international organizations.


Index of titles

Example titles

  • Child health care programs planning officer
  • Clinical research associate
  • Clinical research program manager
  • Clinical trials co-ordinator
  • Coroner
  • Decision support analyst – health
  • Decision support specialist – health
  • Dental health consultant
  • Drug and alcohol abuse consultant
  • Health and social services institution accreditation officer
  • Health and social services liaison officer
  • Health care association program officer
  • Health care consultant
  • Health care planner
  • Health care planning consultant
  • Health care planning officer
  • Health care program administration officer
  • Health care researcher
  • Health educator
  • Health policy development officer
  • Health policy research analyst
  • Health program information analyst
  • Health promotion program officer
  • Health research officer
  • Health services consultant
  • Health services program consultant
  • Health services research officer
  • Health services researcher
  • Home-care programs consultant
  • Labour force planning consultant – health sector
  • Long-term care program consultant
  • Medical adjudicator – Canada Pension Plan
  • Mental health programs consultant
  • Nursing home guidelines development officer
  • Nursing home policy development officer
  • Planning co-ordinator – district health council program
  • Policy development officer – nursing homes
  • Wellness consultant
  • Wellness co-ordinator
  • Wellness program co-ordinator

Main duties

This group performs some or all of the following duties:
  • Assist in developing government health policy by reviewing relevant literature, conducting interviews, collecting and analysing statistical data, and providing advice to senior managers and officials on issues such as health promotion, regulation, standards and financing
  • Design and implement health projects or programs
  • Maintain, update and manage health information databases
  • Compile and analyse statistical information provided by private and public health care institutions and organizations and produce reports
  • Monitor and evaluate health care programs operated by government departments and agencies or private organizations
  • Assess compliance with health standards and identify remedial action if necessary
  • Conduct evaluations and assessments of health projects and programs
  • Provide consulting services to clients in private establishments or government departments or agencies
  • Respond to internal and external program and policy information requests
  • Produce newsletters, magazines and other documents to provide information to association or organization members or the general public
  • Present the views of an association or organization to politicians, government officials, the media or the general public.

Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers may specialize in a particular area of health policy development, research or program administration such as addiction research.

Employment requirements

  • A bachelor’s degree or college diploma in health science, public administration, recreation administration or hospital administration, or a bachelor’s degree in social science, is required.
  • A graduate degree in health, social science or an administrative discipline may be required.
  • Several years of experience in the health field as a health care professional or as a community or social service worker are usually required.

Additional information

  • Progression to managerial positions is possible with experience.


  • Education policy researchers, consultants and program officers (4166)
  • Government managers – health and social policy development and program administration (0411)
  • Managers in health care (0311)
  • Social and community service workers (4212)
  • Social policy researchers, consultants and program officers (4164)